Friday, May 23, 2008

Wrap your baby

I just want to say that I really love my baby wrap carrier! I just went on a long, long walk today with my two children (the three-year-old was walking/in the stroller, one-year-old in the wrap) and the baby was so easy to carry. I'm not sore anywhere! Wraps are amazing because they distribute the weight across both shoulders, your back and your waist/hips. I was afraid for a long time to use a wrap because they looked so complicated to tie. I really wanted an Ergo baby carrier because they have such good reviews, but they cost $90 each (not spending that much anytime soon!). I used ring slings a lot with both my children. Those are great when the baby is small or the walk is short. Otherwise they really start to pull down on one shoulder and hurt my back. I knew that a wrap carrier would distribute the weight better, but they were too hard to use (I thought).

Finally it dawned on me that using a wrap couldn't be more complicated than a structured carrier where you have to figure out all the different buckles and straps. So I made a wrap, tried it on, and wow, it was easy! I followed the directions for the front wrap cross carry on the Wrap Your Baby website. I haven't tried any others yet since I like this one so much (and I've already learned how to do it), but there are dozens of different ways to tie these wraps. You could probably even make up your own way.

The best part about the wrap baby carrier is the cost. To make mine, I bought five yards of jersey knit fabric (from the dollar bargain fabric bin), cut it to a strip about 30 inches wide, and hemmed the edges. It cost me five dollars, and there was enough fabric left over to make a second wrap. Instead I used some of the extra fabric to make a nice drawstring bag to contain the wrap when not in use.

You can even make your own no-sew wrap. If you use a knit (stretchy fabric) like jersey or fleece, you don't have to hem it. Just cut a piece that is five yards by 30 inches, that's all you need. If you don't want to make your own, there are plenty of places to buy one online. Try Etsy.com or just google "baby wrap carrier". And don't be afraid of tying the wrap, you will be pleasantly surprised when you see how easy & comfy it is.

To learn more about why baby wearing is so good for you & your baby, visit The Baby Wearer.

No comments: