Saturday, May 31, 2008

Blow your Nose, Wipe your Mouth

If you are like most humans in this country, you will always make sure that you have a box of facial tissues and a package of paper napkins in your house at all times. These used to be regular items on my shopping list. I have always been a big user of Kleenex. The box ALWAYS ran out when I had a cold, so I would usually stock up on several boxes. But the paper tissues were rough on my poor nose. Even the ones with added lotion left my nose red and rough from all the wiping. About two years ago I had an "aha!" moment when I decided to use my handkerchiefs (which I already had) instead of facial tissues. I fold up the handkerchiefs and stack them neatly in a decorative wooden bowl on the kitchen counter. Once used, they go in with the dirty towels, kitchen rags, etc. Now if I am having a killer cold and run out of hankies, I don't have to run to the store. I just quickly do a load of laundry. I'm doing laundry all the time anyway, and my handkerchiefs can be easily added to any load I am washing. I have never bought another box of Kleenex and my nose is much happier now.

I have recently been using soft cotton jersey fabric scraps to supplement my storebought hanky collection (small children=lots of noses needing constant wiping). I like these even better because they are softer and more absorbent. I cut them smaller than a regular hanky (an easier size for me to use). And since they are knit, they don't need to be hemmed. A nice soft & thick t-shirt at the thrift store would be perfect for cutting up to start your collection.

Cloth napkins are also a no-brainer solution to paper napkins. Like handkerchiefs, they are small and can be added to any load of laundry. I have collected many napkins at thrift stores, garage sales, etc. I've also stitched up my own from cotton fabric or repurposed tablecloths. My favorite to use are nice thick ones that are almost as thick as a kitchen towel (I made them from a great cotton tablecloth that I found at the thrift store). They are very absorbent & great for scrubbing messy faces or soaking up spilled milk. And they look so much nicer than paper napkins on the dinner table. Don't save your cloth napkins for special occasions, use them for every meal and save the trees instead!

No comments: